Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: pagebreak in pdf using fop

Dave,

This questions's been discussed on the list and on the debian-sgml
list before, so might be good to put it into the FAQ.

Looking back at archived messages, the answer's been that you need to
use a processing instruction instead of an element (so also need to
write support in your XSLT customization layer for generating a
pagebreak in the FO output for each instance of that PI).

The suggestion from Paul Reavis on the debian-sgml list was to use
<?dbfo break-before="page"?>. Something like that would work --
there's existing (undocumented) support in the stylesheets
(dbfo-attribute template in fo/pi.xsl and dbhtml-attribute template in
html/pi.xsl) for processing PIs that start with "dbfo" and "dbhtml"
and extracting the pseudo- attributes/values from them.

So given that the question's shown up a few times, maybe it's a common
enough need that support could be added to the standard FO stylesheets
to handle <?dbfo break-before="page"?> or something similar.

As far as the rationale for the DTD not providing an element to force
pagebreaks in rendered output, it's just consistent with the fact that
the DTD by design provides markup only for modeling structure and
content, not presentation. If a pagebreak is strictly a processing
thing and has no significance to structure or content -- just
something that's specific to print delivery, not to HTML or online
help, etc. -- then not really appropriate to have an element for it.