Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: Newbie: Which validating parser for XML DocBook ?SOLVED

Thanks for all the feedback to my orig post.

It turned out that XML Spy is fine, but overly helpful, which threw me for a
loop. What happened was that being the newbie that I am, I had created a
document with <chapter> and <title> elements but without any content like
<para> in those chapters. I used XML Spy in the Enhanced Grid View and it
automatically inserts a <calloutlist> with an accompanying <callout> when I
created a <chapter> element.

As I decided to save my document at that stage I got an error message
regarding the validity of my documents as I had not specified anything for
the arearefs attribute. Imagine the Newbies surprise at this stage
(arearefs, where did that one come from?) of the process.

XML Spy is nice, but I would have preferred something like a message telling
me that I had forgotten to insert some required elements instead of force
feeding my document with <calloutlist>.

Regards,
Piet.

-----Original Message-----
From: Piet Seiden [mailto:ps@db.dk]
Sent: 25. oktober 2001 22:57
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Newbie: Which validating parser for XML DocBook?

I'm starting out with XML, trying to convert existing documents using the
DocBook XML DTD (4.1.2). As editor I have tried using XML Spy 4.0 but have
not been able to validate anything, not even simple sample documents. Before
this drives me insane, I would like to inquire here, if there is a
validating XML parser known to work well with the DocBook XML DTD. The
platform should be either Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD or Linux.
Thanks in advance
Piet.