Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook + OpenJade on MacOS X (Darwin) 10.1 success.

I am using OpenJade and DocBook XML 4.1.2 to develop documentation on my PowerBook running MacOS X 10.1. OpenJade can is easily installed with Fink, a Unix software package manager for OS X that is a Perl front-end to ported Debian package utilities (e.g., apt-get, dselect). I highly recommend fink to all MacOS X users. For more information, visit http://fink.sourceforge.net.

Note that the OpenJade pacakge is in fink's unstable branch. The only problem with the package is that it throws away files included with the source (e.g., xml.dcl) that you need to use OpenJade. This problem is easily fixed by untarring and manually installing the source files after installation. I am going to work with the package maintainer to fix this problem.

While I'm on the topic, I am going to be creating the fink packages to install the DocBook DTD's, among other things, on MacOS X. Is there a standardized way of creating the directory trees where DTDs, stylesheets and such are installed?

thanks,

Sasha Zucker
szucker@mac.com