Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: libxslt/xsltproc and XML catalogs

[...]

>> <rewriteSystem
>> systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/snapshot/"
>> rewritePrefix="file:///home/alex/packages/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.46-experimental/"/>
>>
>> and it works!  (it resolves the first part of the URI and then uses
>> the remaining [unmatched] suffix from the original URI, so no need
>> to write multiple URIs for files in the same hierarchy).

DV>   Well yes XML Catalog works really well, but this example might
DV> be wrong with respect to the spec :-)

Hmm, really?  That's too bad.

DV> <!-- Disgression on XML Catalog I disagree on the split between
DV> the System/Uri handling in the XML Catalog spec and in this case
DV> this is typically an URI-Reference and not an entity lookup and
DV> what would be needed per the spec is actually a rewriteUri
DV> instruction and not a rewriteSystem, unfortunately so far the XML
DV> Catalog comitee refuses to admit that an URI reference is an URI
DV> reference and that the resolution mechanism should be unified.  As
DV> a result I suggested the Tim Waugh (Red Hat DocBook packager) and
DV> I'm afraid it will have to become a rule that all rewriteSystem
DV> should be duplicated as rewriteUri to avoid troubles by pedantic
DV> XML Catalog implementations (and similar for others System related
DV> instructions).  End of the disgression -->

I'm a bit confused, does this mean that I will need to put both
rewriteSystem and rewriteURI into the catalog, something like:

<rewriteSystem
 systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/snapshot/"
 rewritePrefix="file:///home/alex/packages/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.46-experimental/"/>

<rewriteURI
 URIStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/snapshot/"
 rewritePrefix="file:///home/alex/packages/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.46-experimental/"/>

or will I merely need to change all <rewriteSystem>s to <rewriteURI>s
to  get the effect I want?

Can you outline the mechanism/spec proposed by the XML catalog
committee and how this differs from your current implementation, and
what you think needs to be done?

DV>   Except for this annoying but not critical point, XML Catalog
DV> indeed rocks !

I was also referring to libxslt itself (not just the catalog part of
it), I might add!

A.