Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XSL implementation of DBTeXMath

</snip>
> Well, I'm writing from theory and usability principle only
> (my personal
> issues are ear-related, not eye?) so I guess my questions would be:
> * Is the TeX version of the equation -- assuming it can be processed by a
> reader with no difficulty? (Y/N) -- the most accessible syntax to use?

I would probably say LaTeX instead of raw TeX. How well known are the other
syntaxes?

Maple, Mathematica, LaTex, TeX, Reduce, MathML?

What about teaching the reader LaTeX, or does it already know MathML?

> * In other words, is the TeX version of any particular equation -- simple
> to most complex -- going to be understandable by people who don't know or
> want to learn TeX?

Um, how understandable is the *graphic* going to be (for those who can see
it) if it is a complex equation.  Written mathematics is a language in its
own right that has dialects for each area that uses it.

Whichever syntax is used someone will not know it.