Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Ordered List Item Numbers

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

>/ Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@mindspring.com> was heard to say:
>| I have a docBook document with many ordered lists. A few are nested.
>|
>| I'd like to have the second item of the inner list have an item
>| number like 3.2 (where the inner list is within the 3rd list item of
>| the outer list.
>
>The problem is that HTML doesn't support this enumeration style. You'd have to use
>DLs, as Bob Stayton suggested, but then you often get lists numbered:
>
>   3.2
>        Whatever 3.2 should say
>
>which would just generate more bug reports :-)

Actually, that *is* the effect I was looking for. The task is to write a FAQ page where the questions would
be numbered and the answer indented. So

3.2 What is the question that drives us all?
    What is the Matrix!
3.2.1 What about the next installment
    Not soon enough
3.2.2 Another long winded question
    Blah Blah
3.3 etc
    and so on

The numbers indicate the 'level' of the question, but there is only one level of indentation in the body of
the FAQ. The TOC would be indented further for each level.

I was thinking of starting with nested ordered lists because they preserved the correct enumeration. At
least that's how I interpret this passage from TDG regarding ordered lists:

"In a nested list, InheritNum indicates whether or not the enumeration of interior lists should include the
numbers of containing list items. If InheritNum is Inherit then the third item of a list inside the second item of
a list inside the fourth item of a list might be enumerated as ?4.2.3?. If it is Ignore, the default, then it would
be simply ?3?. (The Numeration attribute controls the actual format of the item numbers, of course.)"

Am I missing something?

I understand that HTML doesn't support this numbering system. I intended to edit the number into the text
of the listitem, but at the moment I'm just wondering how to output the enumeration.

  Joseph Polanik, jpolanik@mindspring.com
  Trionic Research Institute, http://www.trionica.com

Beyond the Fear, There is a Gate. May the Blessings Be!