Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: How to make my own stylesheets?

I posted that I want to use custom CSS stylesheets when I publish my
docbook into HTML, and Bob Stayton replied:

---
You can still use CSS to do what you want.
See this FAQ:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/styling/stygeneral.html
1. How to use a CSS stylesheet with docbook
----

I can see how this should work, but I don't seem to be able to get it to
do what I want.  What I did was create a custom stylesheet as found in
the DSSSL doc I found on debian and try to tell it to use my stylesheet
"mystyle.css".

But I don't know enough DSSSL to have the HTML to link to my CSS
stylesheet included in the output HTML files.

On the abovementioned web page, it says:

---
To connect it with your files, you set the 'html.stylesheet' parameter
in either DSSSL or XSL to the name of your stylesheet file. You do that
in a stylesheet customization, which is described inthe faq. That
parameter causes an HTML element to be inserted into each generated HTML
file that associates your css stylesheet with that HTML file.
----

I use jade -d mystyle.dsl#html to tell jade to use my stylesheet, and it
seems to use my stylesheet because when I had the pathname wrong it
dumped plain text to standard output, and when I got it right it made
the HTML files.

Here is my DSSSL stylesheet, mystyle.dsl.  Likely my error is obvious to
the initiated:

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY % html "IGNORE">
<![%html;[
<!ENTITY % print "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook HTML
Stylesheet//EN" CDATA dsssl>
]]> <!ENTITY % print "INCLUDE">
<![%print;[
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DOCUMENT DocBook Print
Stylesheet//EN" CDATA dsssl>
]]>
]>

;; customize the print stylesheet

;; customize the HTML stylesheet

(element html.stylesheet "mystyle.css")

;; I have also tried
;; (define html.stylesheet "mystyle.css")

<external-specification id="docbook" document="docbook.dsl">

Thanks,

Mike Crawford
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com/