Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Newbie!! Windoz installation?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:07:02PM -0600, ttg@charter.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a clueless newbie.  Please point me at a FAQ
> if I am asking a totally scruffy question.
>
> I am writing an HTML textbook, want to teach XML
> in one chapter, found DocBook and think it would be
> a far, far better thing to teach than teaching XML.
> (Yes, I have compassion for the student/readers.)
>
> Can someone please point me to a FAQ or page
> or something that will help me install DocBook,
> and the associated "stuff" I need to have to
> build and display a couple of sample pages
> on a Windoz box?  Yes, I know, evil empire
> and all that.  I have Unix boxes I can ssh to
> and install it, but having it at home on Windoz
> would be a Good Thing, so I could so advise
> my student/readers.
>
> Help, please?

Here is one simple setup for DocBook on Windows.  It has
three pieces: the DocBook DTD, the DocBook XSL stylesheets,
and the xsltproc stylesheet processor.

1.  Download and unzip the DocBook XML 4.1.2 DTD from:
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbkx412.zip

2.  Download and unzip Norm Walsh's DocBook XSL 1.45 stylesheets from:
http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.45.zip

3.  Download the libxml kit to convert your XML to HTML from:
http://www.fh-frankfurt.de/~igor/projects/libxml/index.html

You'll nee both the "libxml binaries" and
"libxslt binaries" zip files.  The kit includes xsltproc, an
executable that applies an XSL stylesheet to an XML file.

Then you can generate HTML using:

xsltproc /path/to/docbook-xsl-1.45/html/docbook.xsl yourfile.xml > yourfile.html

Yes, xsltproc on Windows accepts forward slashes.
You'll need to get xsltproc in your PATH, or give a
full path to the command.
And your xml file will need to include a
<!DOCTYPE> that indicates the path to the docbook XML DTD.

The nice thing is that this same setup also works
on Unix or Linux (except you'll probably be
downloading and compiling source instead of
binaries for libxml).

Have fun!

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com