Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Conceptual model for processing DocBook SGML andXML

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:41:15PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> was heard to say:
> | Folks,
> |
> | I've knocked up
> |
> |     http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/sgmlxml.gif
>
> And I've knocked up the attached. I figured it was time to learn some
> RDF and Dan Connolly long ago pointed me to a cool tool[1] for
> generating graphs from RDF automatically. So I wacked up some RDF for
> the processing model and turned the crank.
>
> Nik's is a lot prettier, but mine is a lot easier to change :-)

  Hum, one of the thing which strikes me is that there is no
direct
    DocBook XML -> TeX
transformations. Basically they require going through FO where the
semantic is lost and only content/formatting is left, where then TeX
is generated.
  Granted, LaTeX is not TeX, but isn't there more semantic to TeX than
just content/formatting . Wouldn't a direct DocBook XML -> TeX transformation
makes senses (I'm not asking if someone wants to do it or if it's simple ;-)

Daniel