Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook editors (Re: DocBook with AbiWord?)

>From: David Bovill <david.bovill@opn-technologies.com>
>Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook with AbiWord?
>Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:37:57 +0000
>
>I think I'm going to have a go at writing a simple DocBook
>application. It will be a standalone application without any
>dependencies etc, and work cross platform - designed for "newbies"
>like myself, who can progress to a more feature rich environment
>later.

Do you think the potential benefits of such an application are really that
much better than those of a good, DTD-aware XML editor, without introducing
unreasonable constraints?

In my opinion, if you hide the document structural and semantic
meta-information, people will just tend to focus on the presentational
characteristics.  So, I think it's a net-loss to try to write a
presentational DocBook editor (presentational features being the only
improvement you could make over a good, DTD-aware XML editor).

Matt Gruenke