Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Including output of a command?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:36:21PM -0500, Rory Hunter wrote:
> I don't suppose it's possible to include the output of a system command in
> a docment somehow, i.e. with some hackery like,
>
> <!ENTITY date CMD "date +%A %e %B">
>
> or an equivalent? Obviously competely unportable, but it'd be quite nifty.

In addition to the production of a "date.txt" file by make, you can
pass such information through a file descriptor.  That avoids the
creation of a useless file.

Eg:

<!ENTITY date SYSTEM "<OSFD>3">

and pass the output of the date command through FD 3:

$ date | jade 3<&0 ....

It gets a bit more difficult when you need several FDs, but well...

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre