Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Preface page numbers problem revisited.

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 22:22, Sasha Zucker wrote:
> first, the usual information:
>
> FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
> OpenJade 1.3
> DocBook XML 4.1.2
> nwalsh docbook-dsssl-1.71
>
> $ jadetex -v   <-- Here's what version of jadetex I'm using
> TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
> kpathsea version 3.3.1

Unfortunately, that is telling you what version of TeX you have...

> I am having what appears to be a common problem. I am trying to generate a PDF
> version of a book with a preface and I am not getting roman numerals. Worse
> yet, the page numbering restarts at one in chapter two, so I am getting three
> page 1s in the book (title page, chapter one, chapter two).

It sounds like you have an old version of jadetex. Get at least 3.11.

> I tried the fix this problem using the instructions in this email:
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200107/msg00075.html

No, don't look at this. This is bad. Use jadetex 3.11.

> but I can't get the arabic page numbering to start at 1 in the preface.  Roman
> numerals do not appear anywhere in the book.

You may have to fiddle with the stylesheet to get the preface numbered
in roman numerals. Although the BSD Documentation Project stylesheets
already have this fix applied.

> What should I change it to? Is there a line I can change near the beginning of
> the file that will get roman numerals to appear in the front matter?
>
> I've spent all the time I can afford researching and trying to fix this problem
> by myself. Can some one give me a hand?
>
> I know little to nothing about TeX. Can anyone point me to an online TeX
> reference?

http://www.tug.org

But it isn't really a TeX issue.

With jadetex 3.11 you should start seeing the table of contents being
numbered as roman numerals. Then you have the right software.

... hang on... I'll check...

Given the following:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN">
<book>
  <para>Some prefactory matter</para>
  </preface>
  <chapter id="chap1">
    <title>Test</title>
    <para>This will be the &euro;. And this is &eacute;</para>
    <para>And this is another paragraph.</para>
  </chapter>
</book>

I get the preface numbered in roman numerals. The problem that you need
a stylesheet fix for is to stop the preface number being reset (so that
it follows on from the table of contents).

Try putting this in your stylesheet driver...

      (define ($component$)
        (make simple-page-sequence
          page-n-columns: %page-n-columns%
          page-number-restart?: (or %page-number-restart%
                                    (first-chapter?))
          page-number-format: ($page-number-format$)
          use: default-text-style
          left-header:   ($left-header$)
          center-header: ($center-header$)
          right-header:  ($right-header$)
          left-footer:   ($left-footer$)
          center-footer: ($center-footer$)
          right-footer:  ($right-footer$)
          start-indent: %body-start-indent%
          input-whitespace-treatment: 'collapse
          quadding: %default-quadding%
          (make sequence
            ($component-title$)
            (process-children))
          (make-endnotes)))

That will do if your book is basically:

book
  preface
  chapter...

I.e. you are not using parts.

If you are using parts then you will need some further magic.

But see how you get on for now.

But the root of your problems is jadetex being too old.

> thanks,
>
> --
> Sasha Zucker
> szucker@mac.com