Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: No callout numbers in the code with programlistingco

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:21:02PM -0600, Patrick Hartling wrote:
> Patrick Hartling wrote:
> > Bob Stayton wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>

> >> Can you generate your .fo file with Xalan and see if
> >> the callouts are getting in there?  If so, then it
> >> is a FOP problem on the back end.
> >

> > I tried Xalan 2.2, and I saw nothing in the .fo file that showed the
> > callouts with the code.  I am trying to get 2.3.D1 to work, but I am
> > having some problems with finding DocBook files such as dbnotnx.mod and
> > many .ent files.  If I copy the files it cannot find into my working
> > directory, it catches an array out of bounds exception:
> >
> > (Location of error unknown)XSLT Error
> > (javax.xml.transform.TransformerException):
> > java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 6 >= 1
> >
> > I realize that that is probably not very helpful output, but it is all I
> > have to work with so far.  Are there command line options I need besides
> > -IN, -XSL, and -OUT?  I've tried running org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process
> > with JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4.0, and both give me the same (frustrating) results.
>
> I apologize for responding to my own message, but I misspoke in the above
> paragraph.  If I use JDK 1.4.0 and the latest Xalan snapshot (20020214),
> I do not get any of the errors about missing files or array access
> exceptions.  (I had a path set incorrectly when I was testing things.)
> However, even with the latest snapshot, the callout numbers still do not
> appear in the .fo file.

Check a couple more things before you give up.
To use any extension functions the parameter
'use.extensions' needs to be non-zero (the default is zero).
To use the callouts, the 'callouts.extension' parameter
needs to be non-zero (that's 1 by default).
And the parameter 'callout.graphics.path' needs to
be set to the directory containing the callout image files.

Then you need to make sure the correct extensions jar file
is in your CLASSPATH when you run Xalan.  You need
docbook-xsl-1.48/extensions/xalan2.jar in your case.

Those steps should at least get the callouts code into
the fo file.  Whether FOP will handle it properly
is another question.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com