Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: On creating PDF bookmarks

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Sven Kitschke wrote:

> I have had the same question and took a deeper look into the generated
> fo files. Docbook stylesheets assign the IDs (that are referenced
> by the outline and the toc) for chapters etc. to the fo:page-sequence
> element. But FOP does support some functionality (fox:outline,
> fo:basic-link?, fo:page-number-citation) only for referenced fo:block
> elements.
>
> There are two possible solutions:
> 1. change/customize the stylesheets (assign id's only to fo:block),
> 2. patch/extend FOP.
>
> I have done 1. as an example for the chapter element. Changes
> would appear in fo/component.xsl (in the template that matches
> chapter) and in fo/titlepage.templates.xsl (I know this file is
> generated. For a clean solution template/titlepage.xsl have to be
> changed. Possible? Is it worth a test?).
> (Changes are documented at the end of this mail.)
>
> My questions are now:
> - What would be the right way: change docbook stylesheets or FOP?
> - What say the xsl-fo specs (I know: RTFSpec :-). Maybe
> someone else has done this before and can answer.)
> - If we/I would customize the stylesheets, would this
> cause side effects?

The right way would of course be to fix FOP, but that is not going to
happen any tie soon. So the next best approach would be to write a
customized stylesheet (with a quick fix - properly to link to the page as
you do, or maybe to a redifine the main template in fo/fop.xsl to point
to first first block in component - yes bad hack)

My stylesheet is full of bad temporary "FOP fixes".

Regards

Jens

> See above
>
> > Does anybody have any similar experience with this ?
> >
> Yes
>

> TIA and HTH, Sven.
>
> ----------------------------------
> PS.: The changes
>
> component.xls (line 201):
> change <fo:page-sequence id="{$id}"
> to <fo:page-sequence
>
> titlepage.templates.xsl template "chapter.titlepage" (line 1161)
> would look like this:
> <xsl:template name="chapter.titlepage">
>   <xsl:variable name="id">
>     <xsl:call-template name="object.id"/>
>   </xsl:variable>
>   <fo:block xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" id="{$id}">
> [snipped!!]

Jens Stavnstrup                            Phone :
Danish Defence Research Establishment         Voice : + 45 - 39 15 17 97
Ryvangs Alle 1 - P.O. Box 2715                Fax   : + 45 - 39 29 15 33
DK - 2100 Copenhagen O.                    E-Mail (Internet) :
Denmark                                       js@ddre.dk