Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Choosing a characterset for DocBook

I have recently transformed a collection of documents from Word to DocBook.
Result: no more inconsistencies or references to non-existing chapters or
figure. Basically I am very happy with the result.

The editing have been done on a Unix platform with Emacs. Occasionally,
when copying text from a word document,  Saxon protests (actually
Aelfred protests), complaining over "bad continuation of multi-byte UTF-8
sequence", which have been a problem, since I have chosen the ISO-8859-1
encoding (don't remember why).

Now I am going to release my colleague on the document. They are going to
use a myriad of windows editors (Word, Notepad, etc in different language
versions), and I predict this is going to cause a lot of problems.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue ?

Should  I chose another encoding UTF-8 or what ? And then why ?

Since I am properly the only one on the Unix platform, what would be the
best approach.

Regards

Jens