Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Help please: new user questions

James Buchanan writes:
 > I just wish someone would come up with a package that installed
 > DocBook things ready to go. This is the most difficult software I have
 > ever had to install in 10 years. I wonder why it has to be so
 > difficult? I have a book on DocBook, but apart from fine functioning
 > as a paperweight, it's useless.

Jon Foster and I will release SGML/XML packages for Cygwin (a Unix
emulation running on Windows) in the next couple of days
(hopefully). This will allow the same convenience of installation as
you may be used from Debian. It will include OpenJade, xsltproc,
DocBook SGML and XML DTDs, DocBook DSSSL and XSL stylesheets, TEI XML
DTD and TEI XSL stylesheets. The TeX packages will (eventually)
contain JadeTeX, xmltex, and PassiveTeX to allow Postscript and PDF
output out of the box. Would you like to have anything else?

 > Maybe I should suggest to OASIS what my experiences have been and urge
 > them to write a beginner's document in plain, simple language of how
 > to use DocBook, especially on Windows because UNIX users have the
 > luxury of sgmltools/sgmltools-lite, and binary packages as rpms, debs,
 > etc. Windows users are stuck with broken Jades and OpenJades it seems.
 > There should be an EXE programme that installs the lot ready to go, so
 > one can issue a command on the command line and use DocBook straight
 > away.

Once again, please have a look at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

While this is not limited to DocBook, it explains the setup of a SGML
and XML editing and publishing system on Windows using only free
software. DocBook is used as one example (besides HTML) for installing
SGML DTDs. The feedback that I have gotten from users of this tutorial
during the past several years indicates that this document
significantly decreases the pain of setting up DocBook et al. on
Windows.

regards,
Markus

--