Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: footnote formatting

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:18:30PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > > For #3, I suppose you can redefine footnote-number (from print/dbblock.dsl).
> >
> > I've played with that a bit, but I couldn't figure out how to find
> > whether the node being processed is the first footnote on the page. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Hm.  Page limits are decided by TeX, so this would have to be a mixed
> solution.  Maybe define some new flow object, that JadeTeX could turn
> into the number you want.  Never got to do such things, it may require
> patching openjade as well.  Probably Ian Castle could confirm.

I don't seem to understand how that works :( ... I'd be very grateful if
anyone could help.

> > > For #1 and #2, I fear it's hardcoded into JadeTeX.  Maybe you can take
> > > the definition for \PageFootnote from JadeTeX, paste it into your
> > > jadetex.cfg, and hack it there.
> >
> > You mean the block starting with "\long\def\PageFootnote#1#2{#1%" and
> > ending with "}" in jadetex.ltx, no? I'll try that.
>
> That's the one I thought about.  I'm no TeXpert enough to directly
> tell whether it's doable, however.

I've just copied the mentioned block to my jadetex.cfg (without any
modifications) on a potato system with DSSSL 1.76 from sid (jade 1.2,
JadeTeX 2.7) and got the following output:

<footnote rule>
@font_*MMparboxrestorebegingroupmakefntext*_@
<footnote text>
*_finalstrut_ff_endgroup_*

Asterisk and underscore here are not literal and stand for bold and
italic, respectively.

> > Besides, how does openjade know that it should output "\PageFootnote"
> > for element footnote (or, in general, output TeX macros for any
> > respective DocBook markup), is that hardcoded into openjade?
>
> No, there's a (make page-footnote) in dbblock.dsl.  I guess the
> hardcoded stuff is page-footnote => \PageFootnote.

I see. That isn't the way XSL stylesheets work, is it? I.e., XSL
stylesheets carry all the info necessary to convert the XML source into
whatever output, without anything being hardcoded into the processor?

Regards,
Baurjan.