Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Jade MIF builds

Toolchain:

SGML DocBook 3.1/Jade/DSSSL

At the moment, we create our printed output by building RTF files as per
the above toolchain, and formatting in MSWord. Unfortunately, MSWord
misbehaves very badly with very long (>200 pg) documents, refusing to
recognise images. I've found that StarOffice is somewhat better here:
images get recognised, but a whole bunch of other problems are introduced.
Oversized images are scaled non-uniformly, tables of contents are trashed,
and margins are screwy. Pardon my high-falutin' tech talk.

The problems that StarOffice introduces can all be fixed, but the end
result is a very labour-intensive process. So we're looking for
alternatives. One of our sysadmins is currently investigating PDF builds
via jadetex, but he's finding that tables are giving him no end of grief.

Another potential route to long-document nirvana is to build to MIF, and
put the finishing touches on in Framemaker. (Note that this approach
sidesteps the SGML side of FM, essentially using it as a souped-up word
processor.) But we don't use FM at the moment, so I would like to know if
the list-members think that this approach is likely to bear fruit.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Andrew Westcombe
Documentation Manager
Gaming and Entertainment Technology (GET)
www.getsystems.com

ph. +61-2-9419-2000
email: asw@getsystems.com

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not
a body of doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists
essentially of elucidations. Philosophy does not result in philosophical
propositions', but rather in the clarification of propositions. Without
philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to
make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
--Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus