Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Slow startup of psgml emacs

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 12:36:53PM +0200, Steffen Maier wrote:
> > Is there any option or flag that would trace or profile what the startup
> > code is actually doing ?
>
> Yet another flag :-): Try starting up your Emacs instance with the command
> line parameter --debug-init. Alas, as the name already suggests it only
> gives debug information if something in the init functions faults. I don't
> know of a real function-trace to follow the init stuff.

When you run "xemacs --non-init" (aka. -q), you have a "load init"
button appearing in the menu bar.  This probably launches some
specific command, which can be instrumented (along with other ones,
probably) with the debugger in order to be traced.  See edebug-defun
and friends.

> At least some info
> is put into the minibuffer (under the status line) while starting up and

You can switch to the " *Message-Log*" buffer to see them afterwards
(notice the leading space) (that's the xemacs name)

> As a last resort you might want to inspect your .emacs (or possibly _emacs
> with NTEmacs) and "simulate" what will be going on when executing the
> contents in an elisp interpreter.

Or run each of them through (edebug-eval-top-level-form).

HTH,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique