Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: depth of section numbering

> Look at the file "labels.xsl" in the common directory.  Depending on whether
> Look at the file "labels.xsl" in the common directory.  Depending on whether
> you're using nested sections (<section> tags) or numbered sections
> (<sect1>,<sect2>, etc.) you'll have to edit the corresponding templates with
> mode "label.markup".
>
> This does get pretty tricky, and involves a lot of customization of Norm's
> current stylesheets.  You may want to submit a RFE on sourceforge.  Another
> option is to use bridgeheads, but again, I don't know what will happen.
>
> Jeff

Actually, you can do it with just parameters and the
gentext templates.  These lines in your stylesheet
customization file will do what I think you want, assuming
you want to omit the unnumbered section titles from the TOC.

<xsl:param name="section.autolabel" select="1"/>
<xsl:param name="toc.section.depth" select="2"/>
<xsl:param name="section.label.includes.component.label" select="1"/>

<xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('')"/>
<l:i18n xmlns:l="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0";>
  <l:l10n language="en">
    <l:context name="title-numbered">
      <l:template name="sect3" text="%t"/>
      <l:template name="sect4" text="%t"/>
      <l:template name="sect5" text="%t"/>
    </l:context>

    <l:context name="section-xref-numbered">
      <l:template name="sect3" text="the section called &#8220;%t&#8221;"/>
      <l:template name="sect4" text="the section called &#8220;%t&#8221;"/>
      <l:template name="sect5" text="the section called &#8220;%t&#8221;"/>
    </l:context>

  </l:l10n>
</l:i18n>

The first parameter turns on section numbering, and the
second one limits the TOC list to sect2 at the most.
The third parameter adds the chapter number to
the numbering (the usual for multiple chapter numbering).

The <l:i18n> stuff customizes the gentext templates, in
this case for English.  You'll have to do something
for other languages if you use them.
It redefines how the section titles and cross references
are generated for sect3 through sect5 when in
the 'sections being numbered' context.  In this case,
although sections are being numbered, you want these
section levels to just display %t (title) and not %n (number).

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com