Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XSL 1.52.2 Performance

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 09:15:27AM -0400, Jeff Beal wrote:
> I just upgraded my XSL stylesheets from 1.48 to 1.52.2, and my build time
> went through the roof.  With 1.48, the build would take about 5 hours.  I
> came in this morning, it had been running for 17 hours, and was only about
> 1/3 of the way through.
>
> Here's what I'm using:
>             XSL Stylesheets 1.52.2
>             Saxon
>
> Here's my machine:
>             Dual Pentium 1.4 GHz processors
>             2 GB RAM
>
> Has anyone else seen this sort of performance hit?

That adds up to a factor of 10 increase in time.
I was curious, so I ran some timed runs on a six chapter
book with two XSL processors and several html stylesheet
versions, with these results (all times in seconds).
This was on a 500 Mhz Linux box with 256 MB.
Saxon version is 6.5.2.

                      saxon     xsltproc
1.48 docbook.xsl       64          9
1.49 docbook.xsl       72         10
1.50.0 docbook.xsl     87         11
1.51.1 docbook.xsl    102         11
1.52.2 docbook.xsl     93         12

1.48 chunk.xsl         91         14
1.49 chunk.xsl        105         15
1.50.0 chunk.xsl      106         16
1.51.1 chunk.xsl      161         27
1.52.2 chunk.xsl      217         29

Looks like the biggest change was in chunking
between 150 and 151.  But I don't see anything like a
factor of 10 increase, only about 2 for saxon chunking.
Maybe your documents are much bigger, but
you also have much more memory.

If I had that much doc to build, I'd figure how to
use xsltproc instead of saxon.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com