Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: <procedure> - Getting Extra Line in <step>

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:28:08PM -0600, Thacker, Brad wrote:

> From my experience, this appears to be a bug in the xsl stylesheets. I've
> seen this problem for over a year, and I've upgraded through three versions
> of docbook-xsl (I'm currently at 1.49). I was able to fix the problem by
> adding the following template to my customization layer:
>

> <xsl:template match="step/para[1]">
>   		<fo:block>
>     			<xsl:apply-templates/>
>   		</fo:block>
> </xsl:template>

Your fix works perfectly fine if all your steps start with
para.  That's probably most of them.

But if your step doesn't start with para, then it
removes the space above the first para that
follows the non-para.  Your pattern is selecting
the first para child (even if it isn't the first
child of step). What you want it so select the first child if it
is a para.  This pattern does that.

match="step/*[1][self::para]"

Of course, neither of these patches fix the extra space if
your step starts with something other than a para.

Regarding this extra vertical space in FOP, I'm not sure it
is a bug.  It isn't there in PassiveTeX or XEP output.  But
I'm not clear *why* it isn't there in the other two,
because they are all dealing with the same space-before
values on the para.  FO is still kind of a black box to
me.  You do what you have to do to get it working.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com