Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: how to comment programlisting or source code

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bob Stayton wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 07:35:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i asked this question before and remember getting a response, and
> > managed to lose it somewhere.
> >
> >   for the time being, i'm just generating HTML from my docbook source,
> > writing courseware manuals.  i'd like to comment the lines of source
> > code that i include (most likely in a <programlisting>) so that the
> > comments are nicely lined up (left-justified) and in italics.
> >
> >   i know -- i can't actually say italics, so i'd probably tag the
> > comments as, what, lineannotation?  but it's the lining up that i don't
> > know how to do.
> >
> >   any helpful hints?  i'm still looking for that previous response ...
> > argh.
>
> Since programlisting is a verbatim block, can't you
> just line  up your annotations manually as you write them?
> Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.
> If you are doing long comments that wrap, perhaps you could
> use callouts?

it seems like there's two ways to look at this, and one of them may
actually be pretty easy.

given that a programlisting is generated for HTML using a fixed-width
font,  i can at least left-justify the lineannotations, regardless of
what font they use, right?  i'm planning on having them printed in
italics (currently, the default seems to be the same fixed-width font
used for the rest of the programlisting).

however, what if i wanted to tighten up a programlisting by changing
to a variable-width font?  then the above won't work.  i'm not saying
i'm all keen on doing this, just considering the potential.

as it stands, if i'm happy with the fixed-width font, as long as i
left justify the annotations themselves, the font i use for them
shouldn't matter, right?

rday