Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: content creation

Gary Grobe wrote:
> I'm trying to get the doc process down to create some really nice docs.
> Using vi w/ docbook is making my fingers tired, but it certainly gives
> me lots of flexibility.

I use Emacs on OSX.  Slightly more GUI, but not much.

 > So I went out and bought adobe acrobat thinking
> it was a sort of create/edit tool for creating manuals, but turns out I
> think it's only good for making documents into pdf files Probably a
> waste of $250.

I don't see how it would help when your source is DocBook.

> So I converted all my docbook web pages into pdf's and they turned out
> ok, but was wondering how you guys are going about this (creating some
> nice user manuals) and if I understand the process correctly. Do you
> create the content using whatever you wish and then import/convert them
> into pdf's?

I use the DocBook XSL stylesheets to create FO, and then
turn those into PDF using Fop.  Fop runs just fine under OSX,
since Java is installed by default.

> Anyone know of any good gui tools where I can just concentrate on the
> content (and maybe some that run on OSX, and don't cost too much)?

I've written an application that allows you to run your
documents through the XSLT processor in a point-and-click
fashion.  Would you like to beta test it?  If so contact
me directly via my email address below.

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas