Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: looking to document docbook preparation andpresentation on red hat

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 08:48:53AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > hmmm ... that's not at all obvious from the "rpm -qi" on that RPM, or from
> > the man pages of the included binaries, which suggest pretty strongly that
> > those binaries are SGML-only.  perhaps the man pages should be modified
> > to make this clearer.
>
> Now that I think about it more, there are some transformations that jw
> doesn't handle in XML---they are the ones that use perl-SGMLSpm, so
> that's man and texinfo.  I think the other destination formats should
> work in XML though since they use openjade.

ok, so i'm getting a clearer picture.  again, what i really wanted to
document was very much the *minimal* configuration one needs to start
writing docbook in XML, and generating the most common output formats,
without overloading the poor newbie (i.e., me :-) with a lot of
information he or she doesn't need to know.

so far, then, i can conclude that i don't care about SGML, and i can
pass on DSSSL and concentrate on XSL.  that makes for a more concise
doc.

any other advice?

rday