Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: OT: Searching HTML

I don't think it's OT :-)

At some point I will also need to have a self-contained search feature
on chunked html pages where I won't be able to use the search tools that
require something on the server side
<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools.html> and neither HTML Help nor
Javahelp are options (would that they were!).

I'd considered taking some Javascript search dohicky that hacking it
into the xsls (like this one:
http://pascal.dynamic-core.net/greym/archives/00000014.php). There are
commercial apps that parse existing html files and add the search too (I
think it's pretty much the same thing--generating an index for the
javascript to use): http://www.devahelp.com/devasearch.htm. Manually
running this on the already generated html isn't attractive to me tho.
Also, I doubt the Javascript approach can be made to work with multibyte
languages.

I hadn't noticed the applet based search tools, but now that Jirka
mentiones it, it looks like a promising way to go:
http://www.siteforum.com/document_center/docfather.manual.pdf Perhaps it
can mostly be done with post-processing of the html files after all.

At this point, I haven't done more than a few google searches and won't
need to solve the problem for some time. Please let me know what ends up
working for you.

Thanks,
David