Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: converting sgml docbook 3.0 to texinfo

--- Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> wrote:
> Well, both are pretty much slapped-together, no-longer-maintained
> one-off things.

Yep.

> If you send me the file, I will give it a try on my Debian machine,
> which has an up-to-date docbook2x setup. I can't promise I'll have any
> more success than you have trying to get valid texinfo generated, but
> I'll give it a try at least.

Thanks very much. I'll send you the files off-list although I've now had a
little more luck.

First, a little more background. There are two "manuals" I'm trying to convert:
the Cygwin User's Guide, and the Cygwin API Reference. The User's Guide is
what I've been concentrating on, but I thought I'd give the API ref a try.
I edited the file to remove the &copy; HTML code (what's that doing there?) and
ran docbook2texi -u on it. For some reason this produced a texinfo file named
"api.html". makeinfo gave less than a page of errors! After hand-editing a
couple of the preamble lines it actually creates a usable info file! No such
luck with the ug.sgml, but at least I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks again for the ideas and help.