Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: redundant pages in index

Matthew Hobbs wrote:

> I produce PDF from DocBook XML using openjade and pdftex.  I want to make an
> index and have finally managed to do this using collateindex.pl.  However I
> am disappointed to find that my index turns out to have considerable
> redundancy .  Indeed the collateindex.pl output warns that:
>
>       Duplicates may be removed in the HTML backend, but in the print
>       backends, it is impossible to suppress duplicate pages or coalesce
>       sequences of pages into a range.
>
> Is there no way around this?

If you must stick with DSSSL and can use RTF and MS Word + Distiller to
get PDF there is a solution. I posted it 1-2 years ago to this list. It
uses small modifications to stylesheet and some RTF postprocessing to
use RTF/Word bookmarks which are replaced by page ranges in index.

						Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz