Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: conditionalization of XML

Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>:
>   You want to do
>     XML ---- process X ----> xmlsubset ---- transform ----> web or print
>
> process X standalone can't be done easilly with XSLT, yes.
>
>     XML ---- process X + transform ----> web or print
>
> can be done with XSLT assuming the way you tags things integrate okay
> with the markup, which is *not* the case with PIs

I don't *want* to do anything but have a painless way to conditionalize
my dcuments.  I'm not attached to doing it with a preprocessor.
But without the right kind of markup support built into the XSLT engine,
that seems to be the least painful choice.

If I weren't fully aware of the problems with this approach, I would
not have raised the possibility that these PIs might belong at the
XSLT level.

> And a solution based on markup tags/attributes and not PIs is likely
> to be quite simpler to describe fully.

Yes, I have been thinking about this, One alternative would be the
interface Jirk Kosek's stylesheet supports -- in effect, any tag may
have a condition attribute; the tag and its contents disappear if that
attribute's value doesn't match a passed parameter.  This would have
the advantage that the conditionalized output is guaranteed to be
well-formed if the input was.

>   Yes with respect to structure, error handling etc ... And get traction,
> checking that others are interested in it and have reviewed it.

The PI-based will get a real-world test from xmlto's users asfter the 0.11
relese.

>                   You claim to have the magic solution, I want to hear
> more voices before commiting on it, especially since I'm not personally
> convinced it's the right technical approach.

Magic, no.  Workable, yes.