Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XEP for $80

      Hyphenation works flawlessly for many languages, basically for all
      those for
      which one can find a decent TeX table. Algorithm implemented in XEP
      is exactly
      one taken from TeX, and XEP reads a good subset of syntax used in TeX
      hyphenation tables.

I could not locate a decent Portuguese TEX table, had to write one myself.
However, the XEP spec (http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/fo/spec.pdf,
section 5.4) says the algorithm is different. The user's Guide
(http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/fo/userguide.pdf, section 6) says exactly
the same. That seems reasonable, because if it were 'exactly' the same from
TEX it wouldn't implement only a 'good subset' of the syntax.

      The phrase that 'their' algorithm does not work most probably means
      that you
      didn't configure it. Hyphenation configuration is described in detail
      in the accompanying documentation. Portuguese hyphenation table is
      not included in the package due to licensing limitations, all you
      need is to grab one from the nearest CTAN archive.

      Even in the beginning of 21st age there are cases when reading
      documentation
      is necessary.

I agree. I always start by reading it. But since my Portuguese TEX file
depends on prioritization to work correctly, and the detailed (half a page)
documentation explicitly says this is not supported , why would I bother to
configure it?

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobrás (http://www.petrobras.com.br)
mailto:jaccoud@petrobras.com.br
voice: +55 21 2534-3485
fax: +55 21 2534-1809
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.