Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 02:59:21PM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> I find the file paths your citing rather odd and probably not very
> exemplary.  For instance, in bottom of ch 5, you cite the XSL
> stylesheet at the location /usr/lib/xsl/docbook/html/docbook.xsl which
> doens't conform to FHS filesystem standards.  Ideally the file
> locations should comply with the LSB/XML standard, although I can no
> longer find that standard (!! maybe it's dead?).

  Hum, you should not use file path anyway in the instances of the
documents or in the tools. if you use the stylesheet PI or even on the
command line for xsltproc it's more reliable/portable to use the
canonical URL for the stylesheet
    http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl
then if there is a local instance, it should be registered in the XML
catalog and the remapping will/should be transparent. This is especially
important when such URL are embedded into document instances.
  It may take a bit of time before every tools and systems set up the
catalogs but really that's the best situation,

Daniel