Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

At 05:33 15/12/2002 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>    Hum, for xsltproc I added a --nonet option which will make the
>processor barf if it had to go and fetch a non-local resource.

I like the idea. Until I met Norms stylesheets, I had never seen
something like that, i.e. with the dtd/stylesheet away on the web.
    I hadn't a clue what was happening.
Saxon, xt etc won't show it so clearly though.
    (is --nonet the default Daniel? Or a selected option).

>For general debugging, still in the same framework, exporting the
>environment variable XML_DEBUG_CATALOG allow to trace the accesses
>and failure for resolving resources names against the catalog used.
>     http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html#validate

Remember Bob is introducing newbies to the questionnable delights of docbook,
  its a steep enough curve without three steps backwards for catalogs :-)

> > I found it infuriating at first, especially when, having done it and
> got it all
> > working, Norm produces a new version and I have to do it all again!
>
>   Yup, unless using the "latest" canonical URI

I feel sure Norm et all had been using that idea for 5 versions before I
suddenly
thought 'hey, that's clever', now I don't have to keep changing my catalog!

   Bob, is that pointed out for others as slow as me?

>which should be remapped
>locally to your latest installed version. The problem is that it's a bit
>error prone (e.g. when Norm removes/renames some existing template rules
>which are in use by your customization layer <grin/> :)

Again remember the context Daniel.
   ~From the list traffic, I'm getting the feeling that docbook usage
is having a rising take-up rate.

regards DaveP.