Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Page number sorting in automatic index

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 04:04:51PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Stephane Bline <stephane.bline@peregrine.com> was heard to say:
> | When I render a document using XSL 1.58.1, the page numbers listed after the
> | index term are in descending instead of ascending order (i.e 120, 98, 13
> | instead of 13, 98, 120). Is this a known bug ? Is there a simple fix I can
> | make to have it sorted properly.
> | I tried to dig into the code but could not find anything that actually
> | worked....
>
> It's impossible to fix this directly in XSL because XSL doesn't have access
> to the page numbers. You want to check out the documentation for the
> generate-index-markup parameter.

I think you mean the 'make.index.markup' parameter in the
DocBook fo parameter reference.  That document describes
post processing of index page ranges.

Maybe I'm being naive here, but aren't the indexterms
in a group processed in document order?  Shouldn't that
give proper order to the page numbers?  Is it possible
that a filter step is somehow accessing them in reverse order?

I'm not able to duplicate this problem.  My page numbers
in my index are in ascending order.  Can you supply a
document that exhibits this behavior?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com