Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: howto make nicer tables?

I am processing DocBook/XML with jade and jadtex and hence to pdf and ps.
I am using the standard DSSSL stylesheets by Norman Walsh.
Now tables when printed have the following flaws:
a) all columns are equally wide and not adjusted to width of content.
b) text starts immediately next to the table border (when left-adjusted),
without any spacing.
I do specify the align="justify" label in the tgroup tag, but it makes no
difference.
How can I improve the appearence on these two points?
	Thanx,
--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204