Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Is it time to rely on CSS?

At 1:21 PM -0500 1/20/03, Norman Walsh wrote:

>Is it time to move that line farther out, removing things that could
>be done with CSS and just expecting CSS to be used?

I vote no. Writing in DocBook and generating HTML gives me all the
separation of style from content I need. For my HTML I want backward
compatibility. I want it to work with Mozilla 1.0 to the extent
possible. OK, that's a little extreme. In practice I'm willing to
accept Netscape 1.1. But I certainly don't want to depend on CSS for
anything important. I still see people using Netscape 2, Netscape 3,
IE 3, and similarly old software. Hell, a month ago I fired up MacWeb
1.0a3 for a few hours. (Remember that?) Given that both Netscape and
IE's CSS support was severely lacking until at least version 6 of
each browser, I can't see relying on it. I won't even say that it's
good enough in version 6. I just know that Netscape 4 and IE 5 were
unacceptable in my most recent batch of tests a year or two ago.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |