Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Is it time to rely on CSS?

Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> Dave Pawson <dpawson@nildram.co.uk> writes:
> <snip/>
> I think there's also an imperative that
> the stylesheets ship with as nice and general output as we can get.

I think the point of having nice and general output in the distribution
agrees, at least in principal, with Dave Pawson's point just now. And
it's a good point.

Would a solution then be to have the XSL stylesheets put *all* "nice and
general" styling in the style element in the head of the output and put
nothing in the body. Then allow this "head style" generation to be
turned off and/or customized in comination with an option to link to an
external sheet? Before or after the <style> element? (It does make a
difference, of course.)

If so, are we really very far away from that right now? This feels like
a workable approach in terms of flexibility, browser gottchas and
various levels of compliance with various standards and guidelines. Does
it work?

Regards.              ...edN