Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XMLSPY and DocBook

Stefan Drees (sdrees@sdrees2.de) wrote:

> ... did You actually try it? It's a tcl script using
> wish and the tksmgl-lib. So performance on my machine
> linux 2.4 256 MB Mem, PIII-450 was not really that visible,
> ok for a tcl/tk script.

Yes, I'm using it here with Celeron 566 & 256 RAM.

I loaded the DocBook: The Definitive Guide sources and after initial loading,
performance was quite OK (the engine of epcEdit is also written in C++).

> I tested version 1.2.4 by the way, the new one as of today.
> There are three sample DocBook files as of v4.1.2 included,
> but there are only 2 views offered: Text and Layout.

Here I have all the Views available.

> - If you enter Text-View, a tip-of-the-day window pops up
> and asks you to better only use text-view, in case layout-view
> does not really work (like no template for visualizing etc.)
>
> - Layout is a markup-dominated view like
> ___________                                       __________
> |          \                                     /          |
> |title      >A Title between some funny Limiters<  title    |
> |           /                                    \          |
> ------------                                      ----------|
>
> (In fixed spacing fonts you get the idea) This view is probably
> not what someone "unfamiliar with programming and mark up"
> wants to work in.

Well, if you don't like markup, you can simply switch it off, but be assured that
if someone wants to author structured (like DocBook) documents, he must have some
idea of markup, tags ..

> Tools like xmlspy offer (in version 5+) on windows plattform
> so called "authentic views" on docbook instances that seems
> to be more adequate for the casual "Manual of Procedures"
> user.

Multi-platform capability (Win, Linux, Mac OSX) is a definitve plus for me.

If you want, you can completely customize stylesheet for every DTD tag to get the more "authentic" view and the upcoming V2 will have support for CSS stylesheets
and

> Both have a tabular view in which especially tables are
> quite nice to edit.

inline tables as well :-)

Sincerely,
Gour