Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: website structure question

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:55:29PM +0100, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
> hello,
>
> you don't need/should edit autolayout.xml because
> this file gets generated by transforming the information
> found in the file 'layout.xml' using the stylesheet
> 'autolayout.xsl' found in $WEBSITE_ROOT/xsl.
>
> that means the only file you need to adjust you website
> structure is 'layout.xml'.
>
> looking at your example i would say your layout.xml file
> should look like this:
>
> ------8<-------------8<--------------8<-----------8<---------
> <toc page="i.xml" id="i" filename="index.html">
>   <title>I - Top Level Directory</title>
>   <tocentry page="t1.xml" id="t1" dir="test1" filename="index.html">
>     <title>T1 - Test1 Sub Directory</title>
>   </tocentry>
>   <tocentry page="t2.xml" id="t2" dir="test2" filename="index.html">
>     <title>T2" - Test2 Sub Directory</title>
>   </tocentry>
>   <tocentry page="t3.xml" id="t3" dir="test2/test3" filename="index.html">
>     <title>T3" - Test3 Sub Directory</title>
>   </tocentry>
> </toc>
> ------>8------------->8-------------->8----------->8---------

As Daniel's example shows, you don't need to put your
webpage xml source files into the structure that
you want for your website.  In fact, things are much
simpler if you don't.  I suggest you put all your webpage
xml files in the same directory as your layout.xml file.
Then let the 'dir' attributes place the HTML output files
where you want them.  You can use the parameter
'output-root' to set a path for the root directory for the
whole output tree.

If for some reason you need each xml file to be in the same
place as the HTML output file, then you will need to put
each of those paths in the 'page' attribute in each tocentry.

  <tocentry page="test/t1.xml" id="t1" dir="test1" filename="index.html">

The 'dir' attribute is applied to the output file, not
the input file.

Also, if you locate your webpage xml files in many
directories and you are using 'make' to build the files
rather than the pure XSLT build process, you will need to
set the stylesheet parameter 'autolayout-file' to the
absolute path to your autolayout.xml file.  Otherwise the
process will look for the autolayout.xml file where each
webpage xml file is located, which will fail.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com