Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook XSL 1.60.1 Stylesheet problem with page headersand footers

I'm surprised I haven't seen a bunch of complaints about this already.

My toolchain:

   DocBook XSL 1.60.1
   libxml2 2.5.1
   libxslt 1.0.24
   PassiveTeX 1.21(2003/01/17)

Under the latest implementations, PDF generation with PassiveTeX from
DocBook 1.60.1 is somewhat broke. I can get PDFs with ugly headers and
footers, but only by accepting twelve errors per page.

Apparently, PassiveTeX just can't deal with the proportional-column-width
element (Sebastian, on his PassiveTeX web page notes that proportional
dimensions are "often not recognized"). The error log shows a "Missing
number, treated as zero" error at each instance of a
proportional-column-width(1), and my resulting PDFs show
proportional-column-width(0) repeated in triplicate at the top and bottom
of each page.

I replaced fo/pagesetup.xsl version 1.34 with version 1.29, and the problem
disappeared.

Ideally, I suppose, PassiveTeX needs to be able to interpret proportional
widths. I don't know what that entails, though. Would it be unreasonable to
ask that the next version of pagesetup.xsl set the column widths to 33 or
34 % instead of proportional-column-width when the the
passivetex.extensions param is set to 1? Should I put in a RFC?

Thanks.

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.