Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: XHTML Strict

Hello All,

I've recently begun work as a consultant with a traditional web design shop
that has been purchased by a large multinational corporation. (It's quite
interesting watching this culture change/clash).

I have a fair bit of experience with XML and related technologies, and am
working with their strategic direction team to implement a more rigorous
methodology to creating and maintaining large websites (configuration
management, multiple media types, etc.)

What that basically means is that I'll be given content in XML, and I've
got to turn it into XHTML Strict, where it will then be styled by the
"Creative" department using CSS.

We have the opportunity to develop the DTD, and initially I was going to
create one from scratch, however I thought this might be a good time to
look at DocBook again. Overall things seem to have come along pretty well,
especially with respect to XML.

I'm considering using the DocBook XHTML style sheet, but have noticed that
it lacks xhtml strict. A search of the archives revels that in late 2001
there was some effort to move in that direction, and just this month
jaccoud@petrobras.com.br stated that he was overriding some templets to
produce valid xhtml strict.

So with that long preamble, I'd like to ask what the state of xhtml strict
is? Strict is a requirement of this project, and if it's not available in
DocBook I'd certainly consider putting in the effort required to get it
there. Can anyone knowledgeable estimate how much work is required to reach
this point? I imagine that a truely generic xhtml strict might be a bit of
work, so if anyone has any style sheets that work on a subset of DocBook
4.2, (or simple docbook) that they's like to share I would like to have a
look at them.

Regards,

Steven Nunez
Maersk Data Asia (S)