Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Docbook xsl stylesheets and accessibilityrequirements?

"Somebodyelse" responds...

Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> <snip/>
> I need to learn more about XSLT -- is this really true, can someone
> other than Tobias confirm it?  I know it's true of DSSSL but I thought
> at least technically it was possible to have one tree form transform
> into another tree form in such a way that it's possible to ensure that
> given valid inputs all possible outputs would be valid.  Maybe this is
> feasible but it's just not what XSLT provides.

I've had a difficult time generating XHTML from DocBook via the xhtml
XSLT stylesheets, but I'm not prepared to say why at this point. I need
to do some controlled testing with each level of XHTML and with a
single, "typical", base document instance. I was thinking of taking a
chapter, for example, from  the Definitive Guide.

My experience indicates that there may be inconsistencies among XSLT
processors with respect to the handling of the xhtml namespace
attribute. In addition, there may be problems when modified versions of
templates are placed in the customization layer, for the same reason,
i.e. empty xmlns attributes are added.

It's complicated for me because I'm not expert on the differences among
the XHTML specs, the intended function of the xsl:output instruction,
the behaviour of various browsers with respect to the presence or
absence of a URI in the DOCTYPE declaration, and, of course, the
behaviour of the validators themselves. For example, there are
differences between the W3C validator and the CSE HTML Validator on the
Windows desktop in terms of errors reported.

Some or all of this may be clear as air to others, but the various
factors do seem to need some analysis, tabulation and documentation in
order to reduce the smoke and FUD.

If anyone has any suggestions about a controlled test approach, I'd be
grateful to hear them. Better still, if there is work already done,
please let me know and I can include it in whatever I discover.

Regards.                      ...edN