Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Use of titleabbrev in list of figurea and tables

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:44:50AM +0100, Joachim Ziegler wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
> >>I'm just wondering why titleabbrevs are not used in the list of
> >>figures/tables.
> >>

> > You could file a Request for Enhancement (RFE) at DocBook's
> > SourceForge site.  Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to
> > see this as the default behavior, but it could be an
> > option.
> >

> Hmm, maybe I don't quite understand the meaning of title and titleabbrev
> here. Especially in figures with "scientific content", I often have a
> large explanation of what is depicted in the figure. In LaTeX, I do that
> with
>
> \caption[short explanation]{very long explanation}
>
> There, the list of figures only shows the [short explanation], because
> the {very long explanation} were just too long.
>
> Maybe <title> and <titleabbrev> is not what I need? But what else then?

Yes, I think you are looking for something more like
a caption for such explanations.  The mediaobject element
inside figure will take a caption element.
Also, a table element will take a textobject element
after the title and before the tgroup element.
I haven't tried these so I don't know how they
format.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com