Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: CSS stylesheet for DocBook

Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Jonathan Lo wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> CSS stylesheet are used on the web to customize the look and feel of HTML
> files. DocBook is not compatible with HTML and many of the tags and
> semantics are different.
>
> It may be possible to convert a DocBook/XML file into HTML on the fly
> using an XSLT stylesheet. Generally speaking, DocBook is intended for
> off-line processing.

This information is misleading. CSS can be used to display XML files
assuming the Cascading Style Sheet uses selectors that conform to the
XML file syntax and also that the display facility is capable of
rendering the combination. Examples of such tools are, Mozilla, Netscape
7, IE6, XMetaL and numerous other XML editing products.

I believe there is a prototypical CSS to be found in the contrib section
of the SourceForge distribution point. It was quite rudimentary the last
time I looked. I you would like an alternative, contact me off line and
I will send you a copy of one I use with XMetaL for editing purposes.
Caveat: there may be selector syntax that is not supported by all
browsers, in particular Internet Explorer.

Regards.                ...edN