Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Special Characters in XML?

I used the demo of upCast to convert some RTFs to DocBook (it worked
great by the way!). However, it converted some of the characters from
this   to their equivelant, which then failed out as I continued
the process to convert to FO and then PDF.

I changed the encoding to US-ASCII in the stylesheet that produces the
FO, so that it remained   in the FO file, however, when I try to go
to PDF, I get an [ERROR] null, and the error is "
org.apache.fop.fo.PropertyManager.getTextDecoration(PropertyManager.java:328)".

So I'm guessing that Apache FOP can't figure out how to go convert those
special characters.

Any suggestions?

Brian