Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: srcdir/objdir issues and including variableusability issues with xsltproc

JL> I've found this stuff to be entirely impenetrable. Is there some
JL> good reason why a sensible, simple include and variable
JL> substitution system isn't available ?

[...]

JL> <xsl:param name="srcdir"/> <xi:include
JL> href="$srcdir/xsl/xhtml-non.xsl"
JL> xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" />

JL> So my questions are :

JL> 1) (general point) why is this so hard ? Where is xsltproc -I and
JL> xsltproc -D ?  2) (specific point) how do I do it ?

JL> Examples in particular are appreciated. In case it's relevant :
JL> [moz@lambent shared]$ rpm -qf `which xsltproc` libxslt-1.0.19-1
JL> and xsl-stylesheets-1.50.0-3

JL> My attempts to find explanations and help generally end up
JL> pointing to the standards, which is not far off line noise for me.

The answer for the DocBook stylesheet location identificaton is to use
XML catalogs!  No need to muck around with autconf for this.

See:

 http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html

and more specifically to locate XSL stylesheets:

 http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html#d0e1733

By default xsltproc will look for catalogs in /etc/xml/catlog, so if
you set that up to point to right place(s) for the installed DocBook
files, your user's won't need to modify their environment at all.

Alex