Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problems with xsl stylesheets (xalan)

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 07:46:25AM +0100, Jens Skripczynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've run into major problems converting an xml docbook document
> into (x)html.
>
> I use:
> - article.xml in valid docbook 4.2 format
> - java: JAXP=1.1, SAX=2.0, xalan2=2.2.D11, DOM=2.0
> - docbook-xsl-1.60.1
>
> 1) converting  article to html using html/chunk.xsl works.
>
> 2) converting  article to html using xhtml/chunk.xsl produces
>    weired symbols in the output document.
> e.g.
> - "B|" in almost all navigation menues.
>    (having an <url> link in <sec1> removes suppresses this charakter
> - "b~@~]"
>    before and after <quote> sections
>
> How can i remove those ?

Those "weird" characters are the same characters you
get with html/chunk.xsl, except they are in UTF-8
encoding instead of character entities.
You'll notice that the top of each output file says

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

so the characters are actually correct and should
display ok in most browsers.

If you truly don't like them, you need to change
the output encoding.  The default output encoding
for the xhtml stylesheets is UTF-8.  Since Xalan doesn't
accept an option to set the output encoding the way Saxon
or xsltproc (with exslt) does, you will have to create an
XSL customization file that sets:

<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

Then those special characters will like be output
as character entities instead.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com