Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] footnotes and their separators

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:08:23PM +0200, flo@abwesend.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am writing sgml- <book>s and convert it via
> .xml+.xsl>Saxon>.fo>FOP>.pdf or via
> .xml+.xsl>FOP>.pdf
> My main-purpose is creating pdf ouput. My questions:
>
> - numbering of footnotes
>
> is there a way to number (bop-)footnotes per page instead of using one
> series of successing numbers for the hole document?
> If those numbers values are available during the transformation process,
> this could help me to solve the other problem:

I don't think this is possible with the current XSL-FO spec.
The XSL-FO spec does not provide automatic numbering of footnotes
on a page.  The XSL stylesheet generating the FO output has
to produce the numbers, but it doesn't know where the
page breaks are.  Those are created by the FO processor.
So I think only consecutive numbering of footnotes
within a chapter is possible.

> - using proper footnote separators
>
> How can I customize my stylesheets that a fo:leader occurs above every first
> footnote item at the bottom of the page?
> I am at a point where the leader is created above every footnote numbered
> with "1".
> What about that way: include into the fo-file a statement like
> "init global variable _last_ , (*)if current page-number not equals _last_
> or _last_ is initial, save current pagenumber as variable _last_ and add the
> fo:leader- Separator. at next footnote goto (*)"
>
> what about the flow xsl-footnote-separator? I get a
> [ERROR] region-name 'xsl-footnote-separator' doesn't exist in the
> layout-master-set.
> while formatting with manually inserted
>  <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-footnote-separator"><fo:block><fo:leader
> leader-pattern="rule" leader-length="100%" rule-thickness="0.5pt"
> rule-style="solid" color="black"/></fo:block></fo:static-content>
> into the .fo to the right location.
>
> From other posts i got various attempts to that problem like
>
>   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="only">
>  <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-footnote-separator">
>    <fo:block><fo:leader color="red" leader-pattern="rule"
> leader-length="100%"></fo:leader></fo:block>
>
> but none of them seem towork.

The current version of the DocBook XSL stylesheets (1.60.1)
does put out a footnote-separator line.  Unfortunately,
FOP does not support that XSL-FO instruction.  See:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2002-q4/msg00320.html

The XEP FO processor renders it properly, for example.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com