Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using foot variable to help control page footer?

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:40:06AM -0400, Seth Ladd wrote:

> > To customize the footers in print output, you customize
> > the template named 'footer.content'.  The original template
> > is in fo/pagesetup.xsl.  It lets you set context conditions
> > for each of pageclass, sequence, and position.
> >
> > See this reference for further explanation and an example:
> >
> > http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/PrintCustomEx.html#PrintHeaders
>
> Thank you!  That is a great link.
>
> If I may make a request, can we add a variable for header and footer?
> That way, if I care to add something, I can set the variable in my
> driver XSLT file, instead of overriding the entire template.
>
> BTW are the stylesheets open source?  I wouldn't mind making that change
> since it seems it's a requested feature.

The stylesheets are open source in the sense that the
source is readable and redistributable.  It is not
open to any one making changes in the CVS tree, however.
If you want to submit a patch or feature request, you can
do so on the DocBook SourceForge site using the Tracker
feature.

I'm not clear how a simple parameter would be used
for header and footer.  A template is currently used
because the content of the headers and footers needs to be
flexible.  There are three page positions (left, center,
right), several sequence positions (odd, even, first,
blank), and several page classes (titlepage, lot, front,
body, back, index).  These can be used in many combinations
with different content.  The template mechanism uses
xsl:if and xsl:choose to provide the logic mechanism
for selecting content.  It is awkward and requires XSL
programming, but it is flexible enough to handle all
those cases.  If you can come up with a simpler scheme,
I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com