Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Linking JavaScript Query

David Pratt wrote:

> Hi Bob, I am using xsltproc to generate my output.
>
> The build information is as follows from xsltproc -V:
>
> Using libxml 20504, libxslt 10027 and libexslt 718
> xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20504, libxslt 10027 and libexslt
> 718
> libxslt 10027 was compiled against libxml 20504
> libexslt 718 was compiled against libxml 20504
>
> This is a snip of the head of the resulting docs
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
>   <head xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
>     <title>5.2. Environmental Impacts in Agriculture</title>
>     <link rel="stylesheet" href="../xhtml-styles.css" type="text/css"/>
>
> Any ideas?

I realize you're addressing the question to Bob. I don't mean to muddy
the water, but I'll make an observation and ask a couple of questions if
I might.

Observation: your output, while identifying itself as xml doesn't
contain a DOCTYPE statement. It would also be useful to know which
browsers are causing you problems.

The presense of the xml statement and the absence of the DOCTYPE
statement, separately and in combination, can create problems for some
browsers that are trying to "do the right thing" with respect to your
content. In addition, it seems to me unusual to see and xmlns attribute
in the opening <head> tag. At this point, a decent browser doesn't know
that your are feeding it HTML and doesn't know where to look for a
validating DTD; in addition and unfortunately, the xml statement is
going confuse Internet Explorer in ways that I'm not conversant with in
detail.

Both of these observations lead me to ask whether you are attempting to
target a particular (x)HTML version by setting attributes or parameters
for the stylesheet output?

If these questions don't make any sense to you, I'd suggest you look at
Bob's documentation, in particular under the HTML processing sections.
I'm sorry I don't have a link ready to hand.

           ...edN