Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Tables, braille and other stuff

Jeff:

That's far from it... accessibility guidelines call to make accomodations
for everyone and doing universal design, not just what's more convenient for
me at the time.  I am not a disabled user but have come to appreciate the
advantage of having a screen reader while i'm engaged in other activities.

While a table may be the best way to represent a matrix, accessibility
technology requires you to do a lot more work than you normally would, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-table-markup

I'd also go one more on Dave's suggestion. Download a copy of IBM homepage
reader or JAWS and have them read the generated page to you without any
modification and see if that makes any difference... I can guarantee you
it'll be a completely different experience than just looking at the pagee.
Tables are usually the wors offenders :)

If there's enough interested, I'd like to propose an accessibility
evaluation of the Stylesheets and a set of guidelines/recomendations for
stylesheets customizers

Carlos
--
Carlos E. Araya
(Soon to be ex) WebCT Administrator - Trainer